Tara Rao focuses her practice on estate planning and probate and trust administration. Prior to joining Kozusko Harris Duncan, Tara worked at distinguished law firms in Washington, D.C. and Tampa, Florida. Tara was also the principal of The Rao Law Firm, P.L. in Lutz and Tampa, Florida, for many years where she practiced in the areas of estate planning, probate and trust administration, guardianship, and business planning.
Tara was one of the four Florida Bar’s Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section Fellows and served on its Executive Counsel. She was also in its inaugural class and is a graduate of the Florida Fellows Institute of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (“ACTEC”).
Tara has served in various leadership roles across a broad array of organizations: She served as a Director and a Past-President of the South Asian Bar Association of Florida. She served as Co-Chair of the Hillsborough County Bar Association’s Diversity Committee (FL). She served as a Director, an Officer, and as Chair in various roles within the Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers (FL). She served as an Adjunct Professor of Legal Studies at Keiser University. She served on the Annual Convention Committee of the Florida Bar and as Co-Chair of the Special Committee on Diversity and Inclusion Committee of the Florida Bar. She served on the Florida Probate Rules Committee of the Florida Bar. And she served as a Co-Chair of the Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia’s Tax and Business Committee.
Tara regularly presents and publishes on a variety of topics related to estate planning, estate and trust administration, guardianship, related ethical considerations, and elder abuse and exploitation. Tara has lived in many cities throughout the United States and India. She enjoys writing, traveling, kayaking, hockey (Go Bolts!), and dancing an ancient form of Indian dance known as Bharatnatyam. She recently authored a children’s book, Ready to Dance!!
Detailed Listing of Affiliation Positions
American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, Member 2019
The Florida Bar
• Florida Probate Rules Committee, 2015-2016
• Special Committee on Diversity and Inclusion, 2010-2014; Co-Chair, 2011-2012
• Annual Convention Committee, 2011-2013
• Real Property, Probate, Trust Law Section At-Large-Member & Executive Council, 2014-2016
Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers, Member 2008-2017, present
• Board of Director, 2008-2014; Treasurer, 2013-2014
• Florida Association for Women Lawyers Chapter Representative, 2012-2013
• Chair of the Community Outreach Committee, 2010-2012
• Mentor for Stetson Law School Student, 2010-2012; 2014-2015
• Past Chair of the Pig Roast Committee, 2009-2010;
• Past Chair of the Public Relations Committee, 2008 – 2009
Hillsborough County Bar Association
• Diversity Committee Member, 2007-2013
• Diversity Committee Co-Chair, 2009-2010
South Asian Bar Association of Florida & North American South Asian Bar Association
• Board of Directors, 2008-2013; CLE Coordinator, 2012; President, 2010; Vice President, 2007-2008
Tampa Bay Estate Planning Council, Member, 2014-2016
District of Columbia Bar – Estates and Trusts Community, Steering Committee Member, 2019-2020
Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Member, 2017-2020
• Tax and Business Committee, Co-Chair, 2018-2019
South Asian Bar Association of Washington D.C. (SABA-DC), Member, 2017-2020
Graduate: Florida Fellows Institute of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, 2015-2016
Fellow: Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar Fellowship Program, 2012-2014
Fluent in Kannada and Tamil