Andrew counsels individuals, families, fiduciaries, and family offices on all aspects of estate planning, estate administration, and wealth transfer planning. He works with a wide variety of domestic and international clients to address their planning needs. Andrew joined the firm as a partner in 2014, following fourteen years of practice with two major international law firms.
Andrew’s practice includes significant experience with closely-held family businesses and the multi-generational families that own and control these businesses. He also focuses on international aspects of tax and estate planning for U.S. beneficiaries of foreign trusts and estates, non-U.S. families with U.S. connections, foreign executives in the U.S. and U.S. citizens residing, or owning business interests, abroad. From 2012-2018, Andrew taught International Estate Planning in Northwestern University School of Law’s Tax LLM program as an adjunct faculty member.
While in law school, Andrew was a John M. Olin Scholar in Law and Economics and an articles editor for the Cornell Journal of Law & Public Policy. Prior to law school, he studied history at the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität, Münster, Germany, as a recipient of a German Academic Exchange Service Scholarship.
Since 2005 Andrew has served on the Board of Trustees of the John C. Proctor Endowment, Peoria, Illinois. The Endowment operates Proctor Place, a continuing care retirement community. Andrew recently served a two-year term on the Board of Education for Kenilworth School District No. 38, where he chaired the Board’s Policy Committee.
List of representative engagements
- Advising U.S. taxpayers with ownership interests in non-U.S. family businesses or real estate on wealth transfer and succession planning.
- Represented company founder in pre-liquidity event wealth transfer planning.
- Represent beneficiary of trusts with ownership stake in major U.S. family business on all tax and family business matters.
- Represented surviving spouse in post-mortem disclaimer planning.
- Advised U.S. family office on variation of large foreign trusts to comply with Bahamian directed trust statute.
- Represented U.S. beneficiary of foreign estate and trust in contentious post-mortem administration and trust restructuring.
- Counseled offshore corporate trustee on U.S. tax matters and trust restructuring for Bermuda estate with U.S. beneficiaries.
- Represented foreign family office in structuring acquisition of U.S. farmland portfolio.
- Advised U.S. beneficiaries of foreign trust in connection with restructuring trust to mitigate U.S. tax problems upon eventual termination of trust.
- Reorganized capital structure of operating businesses of family-owned, national construction, and real estate development company in conjunction with wealth transfer planning to shift appreciation to younger generation.
- Coordinated insurance restructuring and wealth transfer planning for principal of family business while negotiating post-nuptial agreement with principal’s spouse.
- Represented trust beneficiary in contentious trust and estate administration related to sale of trust-owned family business.
- Coordinate lifetime wealth transfer planning programs for executives of public and private companies.
- Advising non-U.S. families on structuring wealth transfer to next generation U.S. family members.
- Represent taxpayers on all aspects of expatriation, including pre-expatriation tax planning.
- Represent taxpayers with non-compliant foreign bank accounts in voluntary disclosure cases.