Miles’ practice focuses on affluent families, family offices and trust companies (private or commercial) serving such clients. He counsels those clients regarding:
- private and retail trust company chartering and on-going management and regulatory matters, whether for highly successful, strategically-minded families or well-known domestic and international financial institutions,
- family office structuring, governance and succession issues, including executive compensation and retention and taxation,
- investment adviser compliance and regulation issues,
- structuring of family investments and investment vehicles, and
- tax and estate planning matters for family office and individual family members.
Miles writes and speaks on a wide variety of tax and wealth management topics.
In addition to being a lawyer, Miles spent over 5 years as an investment consultant focusing on asset allocation and manager search and selection.
Miles was a member of the Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law.
Recent, Representative Projects:
- Assisting client in designing, building and staffing family office powered by cutting-edge technology that provides real-time transparency into, and risk management for, client family’s investments (even at the security trading level) owned by dozens of complex entities
- Assisting family office in restructuring its internal governance system to accommodate family members who feel disenfranchised and to provide them with enhanced participation as appropriate for their individual skill sets and interests
- Assisted various highly successful families in chartering and starting private trust institutions for the complex network of trusts and accounts of those respective families, to enable the long-term management by the families of their respective closely-held businesses interests and liquid assets
- Assisted well-known international financial institution in establishing a U.S.-based, commercial trust company for expanding operations of that institution into the U.S.